Nebraska Barnraising Split Pea Soup features basil seasoning and a carrot vegetable mixture that complement the finest green peas. Bacon or ham are popular additions to this classic thick split pea soup. Add a dash of sherry, if desired!
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
Size: 454g 160z.
- 8 oz. sliced bacon (or meaty ham bone)
- 6 cups chicken broth (48 oz.)
(if prepared ahead, 1-2 cups additional broth needed since soup will thicken)
- ¼ cup sherry, optional
- Pick through the split peas. Remove discoloured, shrivelled split peas and any foreign material. Rinse well.
- Cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and saute for 10 minutes in a 4 quart pot until nearly crisp
(or place meaty ham bone in 4 quart pot).
- Stir in contents of soup mix vegetable packet, split peas and broth to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered 2.5 hours; stir occasionally.
- Just before serving add sherry, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.