Beef Barley Stew is an old-fashioned meal with Shiitake mushrooms, leeks, and lentils. Just add cubed beef to prepare this rustic, hearty meal.
Nutrition: No added salt or artificial anything, Certified Gluten Free
Size: 397g 14oz.
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Large Onion, Sliced
- 2-3 lbs. Beef Stew Meat
- 8 Cups Beef Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2-3 Turnips, or Potatoes (2-3 Cups), Peeled and Diced
- 8 oz. Fresh Mushrooms, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Sherry or Red Wine
- In a 6 or 8-quart pot melt 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Brown stew meat in 2-3 batches over medium-high heat, not crowding the meat, and turning each piece once. Remove meat to plate when browned.
- Add remaining butter. Lower heat and brown onion 5 minutes.
- Add meat back into pot. Stir in broth, water and contents of Dakota Territory Beef Barley Stew Mix. Bring to a simmer and cook covered 2 hours.
- Add turnips or potatoes, mushrooms, sherry or red wine, and salt and pepper.
- Return to a simmer and cook covered 1 hour.
This stewy beef barely soup can be made a day ahead or frozen and reheated.